Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Automatic Detective (Comic)

I worked up these pages over the last day and a half as a short comic adaptation of the book The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez. My friend Brad got me into reading some of his books and they're a ton of fun. I finished reading Automatic Detective earlier this week and I had an idea about doing a scene from it in comic format.

I'm going to color this later this week but here are the inked pages (almost complete, still might make some tweaks after I let it breathe a little bit).

I read a blurb on the author's blog about how he feels feels about modern comics so I hope that this passes his litmus test.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Zac. This is impressive. Love the art, love that you were comfortable enough to add your own little touches and put yourself in this work as well. Utterly fantastic work, and I'm flattered that you found inspiration in my novel to produce it.

    One gripe. Mack should have a hat. But since this is really awesome, I'll overlook it this once. ;)

    I only hope The Automatic Detective movie in development captures half the energy, style, and spirit of your work. And don't worry. You haven't let this disgruntled comic book fan down here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Detective is my favorite Martinez book, and you rocked this. Nice flavor...more please!

    ReplyDelete